APTN National NewsJustin Brake isn’t special in the eyes of Justice George Murphy.The Newfoundland and Labrador judge ruled Wednesday Brake’s status as a journalist didn’t protect him against contempt charges for covering an occupation of the Muskrat Falls hydro dam site last year.“Mr. Brake did not have any special status in this case because of the fact he is a journalist,” said Murphy in his decision.Brake is among dozens of people facing civil contempt charges after Nalcor Energy, a provincially owned corporation, asked a Newfoundland and Labrador court for an injunction last October as protests outside the Muskrat Falls site picked up steam.Brake was named on the injunction and appeared in court on February 14. His lawyer, Geoff Budden, argued that Nalcor had not told the judge issuing the injunction that Brake was a working journalist and if that material fact had been known to the judge, he may have made a different decision.Brake works for TheIndependent.ca and when land protectors defied a court injunction and broke the past the gates at Nalcor Energy’s construction site, he followed.The group occupied the site for four days, shutting down project operations.Brake reported from inside the occupation.The RCMP were always aware that Brake was a reporter. He spoke to the RCMP during the occupation. He went live on Facebook and posted updates, stories and pictures on Twitter.Murphy said it wouldn’t have mattered to him if Nalcor had said Brake was a reporter when applying for the injunction.“Even if Mr. Brake’s status as a journalist was a material fact which ought to have been brought to the attention of the court, in the circumstances of this case I would not exercise my discretion to vacate (the injunction order),” he said.Brake said in a statement he is disappointed.“While I was in the midst of covering a story of enormous public interest, Nalcor used the law in such a way that effectively prevented me from continuing to show tens of thousands of readers and viewers, through my journalism, what was happening inside the occupied Muskrat Falls site,” he said.The RCMP also charged Brake on Mar. 7 for mischief exceeding $5,000, and for disobeying a court order whichcarries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison according to the statement.Organizations, politicians, journalists and grassroots citizens have spoken out believing the charges against Brake are an attack on press freedom.Brake’s first appearance on the criminal charges is scheduled for April 11, while the civil matter is scheduled for May [email protected]
The death on Sunday of José Fernández, one of baseball’s brightest young stars, who was killed in a boating accident off the coast of Miami, came less than two months after his 24th birthday. In his short time on Earth, Fernández had already been through a number of terrifying ordeals in attempting to defect from his native Cuba: three failed attempts (each of which led to imprisonment), and a successful fourth try — at age 15 — that required him to dive overboard at one point to rescue his mother from drowning in stormy waters. PITCHERTEAMINNINGSWARSOBBHRFIPFIP- Roger ClemensRed Sox418.104.22.168.50.72.8771 Bert BlylevenTwins1322.214.171.124.20.62.5569 Jose Fernandez spent a year in a Cuban prison for trying to escape. On his successful trip to America, he saved his mother from drowning. pic.twitter.com/YdGOCfPXqp— Rohan Nadkarni (@RohanNadkarni) September 25, 2016 Terry ForsterWhite Sox4126.96.36.199.00.32.7374 Joe WoodRed Sox1147.122.06.72.60.12.0776 Given a hard-earned chance at a baseball career in the United States, Fernández didn’t disappoint. He won Rookie of the Year with the Marlins in 2013, then battled back from an elbow injury to be the game’s best pitcher this season. He was a monumental talent, the magnitude of which only comes along a few times in a generation, and he played the game with flair and panache. Walter JohnsonSenators13188.8.131.52.00.11.7875 Clayton KershawDodgers7184.108.40.206.50.63.0476 Major League players rarely die in mid-career, but those who do are usually quite young: more than 60 percent of the active MLB players who died since 2000 were Fernández’s age or younger. We’ll never know if prospects such as the late Oscar Taveras and Nick Adenhart could have gone on to become Hall of Famers someday, because they were lost so early in their careers. The possibilities were there, but they were still mostly unrealized at the time of their passing.In Fernández’s case, though, we have a pretty good inkling that he was on track for Cooperstown. Only 20 pitchers in modern history produced more wins above replacement than Fernández did through his age-23 season,1Although Fernández turned 24 during the season, FanGraphs assigns ages based on a player’s age on June 30 of a given year. and that’s not even considering the fact that he missed huge chunks of two seasons due to injury. On a rate basis, no pitcher had a better Fielding Independent Pitching mark relative to the league through his age-23 season than Fernández did: Dean ChanceAngels7220.127.116.11.00.42.7976 Tom HallTwins455.19.08.53.70.72.9476 PER 9 INNINGS Dwight GoodenMets118.104.22.168.60.42.4668 Best pitchers through age 23, 1901-2016 Minimum 450 innings through age-23 season.FIP = Fielding Independent Pitching, which judges pitchers on the stats they directly control, independently of a team’s defense: walks, strikeouts and home runs allowed.FIP- = A metric that comparesFIP to the league, where average is 100 and lower numbers are better.Source: FanGraphs.com José FernándezMarlins471.113.922.214.171.124.4364 According to Bill James’ similarity score system, the Hall of Fame pitcher most analogous to Fernández was a young Tom Seaver, who racked up parallel conventional numbers at the same age. (The two are also very similar by WAR, particularly according to Baseball-Reference’s method:2Which, as I wrote about recently, differs philosophically from that of FanGraphs. it says Fernández had 13.0 WAR through age 23, while Seaver had 12.8.) A two-time all-star by 23, Seaver went on to grab 10 more all-star nods, won 311 career games, made the Hall of Fame with the second-highest percentage of the vote ever, and was somewhere between the fifth- and 10th-most valuable pitcher in baseball history. And this is a pitcher who had only about half as many strikeouts per 9 innings through age 23 as Fernández did.(Even granting that today’s era is much more strikeout-heavy than Seaver’s, that’s nuts. At the time of his death, Fernández was in the midst of the fifth-best season ever in terms of strikeouts per 9 innings.)Of course, Fernández had also fought through a significant injury already in his short career, and history tells us that a lot can happen to a pitcher from age 24 onward. Cleveland Indians pitcher Herb Score, for example, began his career in 1955 with dominant statistics very comparable to those of Fernández and Seaver, but a serious injury two years later (he was struck by a line-drive) left most of his potential greatness unrealized. Every pitcher’s career is delicate, constantly on the edge of derailment, and all-time glory is never a given.But given what we’d seen out of Fernández in his first (and now, astonishingly, only) four MLB seasons, it was clear he was special. Like the deaths of Roberto Clemente and Thurman Munson before him, Fernández’s loss will leave a void not just of personality, but of Hall of Fame-caliber talent. The game only had a small taste of what Fernández could do.
Brooklyn went from zero to two professional sports franchises in the time it takes to say, “Junior’s cheesecake.” The NHL’s New York Islanders followed the Nets, formerly of New Jersey, to the sprawling new Barclays Center in downtown Brooklyn, it was announced Wednesday.The Islanders, who played in Hemstead on Long Island, have a 25-year, “iron-clad” agreement to play in the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, owner Charles Wang said.The Islanders will begin playing in Brooklyn at the beginning of the 2015-16 season, when their current lease with the archaic Nassau Coliseum expires.“It was our goal from day one to keep the Islanders in the local New York area.” Wang said in a team statement. “We’re thrilled to have the opportunity to play in Barclays Center, a first class arena. This has been a long journey for the Islanders family starting with our loyal fans, sponsors, and employees. I want to personally thank them for their patience, loyalty and support. I am excited about today’s announcement, and I am looking forward to a long and successful future in Brooklyn.”The press conference was attended by everyone from Wang, to New York mayor Michael Bloomberg, to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, to Brooklyn borough president Marty Markowitz.“Today is another great day for Brooklyn,” Markowitz said. “When I first campaigned for borough president, I made the promise that I would bring a major league sports team to Brooklyn. But never in my wildest dreams did I think we would be home to both the Brooklyn Nets and the New York Islanders.Barclays Center majority owner Bruce Ratner was also in attendance. As recently as August, Ratner said he was “trying like hell” to get the Islanders to join the Nets in Brooklyn.In making the move of about 25 miles west, the Islanders will be rejoining the Nets. The Nassau Coliseum opened in 1972 as home to both the expansion Islanders and the New York Nets of the American Basketball Association. The Nets moved to New Jersey in 1977, one year after joining the NBA.The Barclays Center will hold an estimated 14,500 fans for hockey, which will make it the smallest arena in the NHL. The MTS Centre in Winnipeg is the smallest, with a capacity of 15,004. The Islanders averaged just 13,191 last season and haven’t had an average of more than 14,000 since the 2002-03 season.Bettman said he didn’t think the number of seats would be an issue and pointed out the “intimacy” of the building.
California Highway patrol officer killed – new details KUSI Newsroom, Posted: April 6, 2019 Updated: 9:37 PM April 6, 2019 KUSI Newsroom Categories: Local San Diego News SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – A California highway patrol officer was killed and two others were injured in an accident on interstate 15 just outside of Lake Elsinore.Police say a suspected drunk driver hit and killed sergeant Steve Licon–as he was conducting a traffic stop on the shoulder of the freeway.The accident happened today around 4:30. The CHP officer was struck by an oncoming vehicle while he was on patrol. The officer that was killed was identified as sergeant Steve Licon.Sergeant Licon was originally airlifted to the hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.The accident left southbound lanes on the I-15 closed for an unknown amount of time. FacebookTwitter